According to research at Brigham Young University and Ball State, the role of father is shifting within families. science daily
- Dads are more involved in their children's lives, not only being present physically, like supporting sporting events or piano recitals but also being there for emotional support. Results from 2,194 fathers showed the following:
- Fathers of younger children engaged with them several times a week
- Fathers of older children engaged with their child between once and several times a week and knew a lot about their child's activities
- Fathers of younger and older children only sometimes engaged in harsh discipline
- Fathers of younger children stated that warm behaviors toward their child are "very much like me"
- Fathers of older children acted warm toward their child between often and always
- Finally, fathers of older children also generally agreed that their child turns to them for emotional support