A crying child can break parents' heart or drive stress levels through the roof. Even if it is stressful to hear a child cry it is important not to tell them to stop or to distract them from what is making them sad. Instead, try these suggestions from motherly
to soothe your child:
- "I know that was really sad/hard/frustrating"
- "It's ok that you're sad/hurt"
- "I love you"
- "You are safe"
- "Do you want to try that again? I could help you"
- "Can you tell me why you are crying and upset?"
- "Let's come up with a solution together"