Everyone has an opinion on this. What foods should you eat, avoid, shun while pregnant? The nytimes
breaks it down for you because "pregnant women are more susceptible to foodborne illness than most people because their immune systems are weakened:
- make sure food is cooked properly - microbes like salmonella, campylobacter and Toxoplasma gondii can be harmful to a pregnancy
- avoid foods that are susceptible to Listeria monocytogenes (bacterium that can cause infection that can have devastating consequences) - processed meats (unless they’ve been thoroughly heated), smoked fish, soft cheeses, unpasteurized milk and dairy products.
- abstinence from alcohol is suggested by experts (though moderate consumption opinion is mixed)
- enjoy your cup of coffee - roughly 200 milligrams of caffeine or less per day is appropriate
- discuss any food issues with your doctor